Mary's KampotCambodia blog

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Boat ride

this was taken a few months ago when it was hot and sunny. Nice to see the sun since it's rainy season now.
The bridge fell in because of the salt trucks going over. Will post a shot of that. I was riding on one of the Cham Muslim's boat and he had me tucked safely in the back and was proud to have me taking pictures using his boat. I usually keep my head covered whn around the Cham, out of respect and when out in the more remote villages I cover my face. I have some really nice bright pink head coverings though. I refuse to wear black but most of the Cham women still wear bright colors.
I will probably adopt a more conservative dress when going to Bangkok from now on because I'm usually in a more predominately Muslim area and Muslims from all over the Mid-East are there. I have noticed though, if I have a child or a baby on my hip I get more respect. If I'm alone, I have to move out of the way. Don't know why that is.
This is a picture of the boats ferrying people from one end of the channel to the other. Motos, people, everything that can fit on these boats goes.
During the flood a week ago they were in business again. That was who got us around then. When they aren't trucking people around they are out at sea fishing. That's where all of Kampot's famous seafood comes from. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home