Mary's KampotCambodia blog

Monday, August 14, 2006

Days in Cambodia part 2, the flood

I'm going to start posting pictures as I can. I posted one already. The roads are clear till you get nearer to the river and then the water and debri starts to rise. I went out with my daughter and cleaner first thing this morning. We road bikes and I can tell you that was a trip for sure. We were pushed by the rain and wind and then as car went by the water got even worse but we laughed the whole while, loosing our shoes, trying to stay upright. I tried to get to two of my friends houses, our Sri Lankan friend and his wife and our English friends. The current was so strong as I got towards Lucky's place we had to turn around. So then we went to one of the sides streets near our houses on the riverside and we got almost to the end then had to get off cause it was at the top of our tires. So I parked my bike and tried to walk to my English friends house but I was pushing (because of the wind and the river which swelled it's banks) through garbage of all sorts. Saw their door shut and the water hadn't reached that far up yet so it's not as bad yet as 1999, yet... so we turned around and came home. I then snagged my older son since Tim's in Phnom Penh and we took off and tried to get back to the water front so I could take pictures. Brendan had to park and I walked. Took pictures but we were both childed so I'll go back. MaryKate says at 11am we'll go get one of the boats to rent and go for a ride. That's how they are getting around to go to the market which at this moment doesn't exsist, it's under water so the market is on the main road but you still need a boat.
Our house is not flooded except the kitchen and the sewer is coming up through the tile... But our houses on the river haven't gotten water yet so maybe if and that's a BIG IF the rain stops then we'll be ok.
Will try and post more pictues as I go today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home